Hotteok!! (Sweet Korean Pancakes)
Hotteok (Korean Sweet Pancakes) is popular Korean street food. Hotteok is made of a simple dough and a deliciously sweet filling with cinnamon, brown sugar, and walnuts. You can have it as a dessert, a snack, and even as breakfast!! It is the perfect comfort food!! I hope you enjoy!;)
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons active, dry yeast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions: 1. In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer, stir together water, yeast, sugar, oil, and salt. (let the yeast proof for about 5 minutes. It should look foamy or bubbly.)
2. Add the flour to the yeast mixture and mix until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour at room temperature. (The dough should be about doubled its size.) Then, coat your hands with cooking spray and punch down the dough to get rid of gas bubbles. Once again, cover the dough again and let it rise for another 20 minutes.
4. While your dough rises, mix together the cinnamon, walnuts, and brown sugar in a small bowl, to create the filling.
5. When the dough is ready, place it on a floured surface and coat your hands with flour as well. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape them into balls. (The dough is very sticky.)
6. Flatten out each dough ball and put about 1 tablespoon of filling in the center. Then pinch the ends together around the filling, enclosing the filling in the center of the ball.
(You may need to re-flour your hands between dough balls if the dough starts sticking too much.)
7. Heat a pan over medium heat. When hot, add about 2 tablespoons of oil and let it heat up as well. When the oil is hot, place one dough ball in it and cook until lightly golden brown on the bottom, (it should take about 30 seconds), then flip. Using a spatula, press down the hotteok to flatten it and cook until the other side is golden brown. ( it should take about another 30 seconds.)
8. Flip the hotteok once again and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan with a lid for about a minute to cook, just to make sure the filling inside is melted and syrupy.
9. Serve hot and enjoy!!
You can place multiple balls at the same time if your pan is large enough. Make sure there is space, so the hotteok can be pressed down.
You can freeze hotteoks and reheat them in the oven or even a toaster, and they still taste great!!