10 great comfort reads to get away from reality
- and what you should be snacking and sipping on while reading them -
Here’s to lazy days, autumn rain and a bountiful supply of snacks!
We’re all going through a weird time right now, but the upside of it is that most of us have more time for reading! Since autumn has arrived, I hereby present my favourite comfort books and snacks with correlating bookish references.
All of these books include: a fairly quick read, no murders, at least a ⅘ star review, and overall ultimate hygge (confirmed by a Dane!). Ps. It is NOT pronounced hoogah. Thanks.
1. To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han - your favourite milkshake and colourful cupcakes with sprinkles OR snickerdoodles
2. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery - rose-flavoured lemonade and a snack from your childhood
3. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery - apple pie and raspberry cordial
4. I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson - lemonade and artfully decorated cookies
5. Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks - hot cocoa/psl and ALL of the autumn/pumpkin snacks! You will get so hungry, I promise!!
6. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne - the obvious choice here would be honey, but since I’m a vegan, I’ll recommend carrot cake (or just carrot sticks with hummus) and tea with syrup. I promise you, you won’t miss the honey! Just don’t tell Pooh…
7. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland - tea for your unbirthday tea party, and sugar cookies to dip in the tea. Pick a weird flavour.
8. The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway - plain ol’ water and anything salty caramel-flavoured will do here.
9. Ronja the Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren - home baked bread or forest berries and oat milk.
10. The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking - if you want to go all out on the hygge! Drink tea and snack on some Danish pastry (there’s more than one kind!).
I hope you were inspired by this cozy list, I surely want to re-read all of them now
I realise there’s a lot of cake on this list, you can blame that on Lara Jean:-)
Is your favourite comfort book missing? Write it in the comments!
All pictures are from Pinterest and credit goes to the owner:-)